Friday, October 15, 2010

Unlocked


My favorite Christian fiction author, Karen Kingsbury, just released a new book Unlocked. I had ordered it through The Baxter Family Book Club and was thrilled to find it in my mailbox on Tuesday. I was so thankful that I was off that night, just so I could read! And read is what I did. I read. I cried. I laughed. I thought. I pondered. I felt thankful.

In this remarkable book, Karen gives light to the world of autism. So many families are forever changed after the diagnosis of autism. It changes the person, their families, their friends, their communities, and their world.
Holden, the book's main character, is locked inside his world of autism. As a normal, healthy little boy until 3; the change in Holden came out of nowhere. For 15 years his parents, therapists, and teachers have tried to unlock what is keeping Holden. A childhood friend who has come back into Holden's life slowly begins to see beyond the autism. She sees Holden.
Karen also approaches the issue of bullying and the affect it has on teens. You don't have to have a disease to be bullied. Many kids today are bullied just for being who they are. Some teens choose to take their own lives rather than live with the bullying. But it takes kids who are willing to stand up for what isn't right in order to make a change.

Something that I learned from this book is that restoration among friends is always possible when God is first. So many times I have allowed friendships to fizzle out because I was just tired of having to keep up with the facade. Now matter how long time has passed, God is still able to restore. This book has allowed me to take into account what I am given and blessed with. God has been so good to me and I am extremely blessed. I am praying that He makes me a little more like Himself everyday.

Please read this book. I can not tell you here how great it really is. As a matter of fact, I may even give a copy away next week. So look for giveaway #2. I am a firm believer that if it has helped me in any way, I should share it.
Thank you for reading this post and look for Unlocked at your local bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment