Friday, April 29, 2011

Tornadoes

As most of everyone knows, it has been a chaotic few days here in MS and in AL. I started this post on Wednesday and never got it posted. So some of this is from the beginning of my day starting on Wednesday.

I didn't imagine my day including a stay in the closet hiding from a tornado. The weather has been rough for a few days. On Monday night, we had to move patients around because of the tornado sirens. Last night I chose to sleep through the weather. And today has been crazy. One minute is looks clear and okay outside and you look again and the trees are almost laying on the ground, rain is pelting, and thunder booming. And then I got a call that a funnel was spotted nearby. So Tay and I headed into the closet. He was completely fine with it and thought it was fun. Thank the Lord for IPads. So handy! The power went off and when it came back on, he said can the lights go off again. Umm, no. I do not like the closet. At all. I like to be able to see what's going on. I don't like being stuck in one place. I'm more of a wanderer/pacer. I like watching how fast things can change. And today, I wanted to do the same thing. I wanted to stand at the door and watch everything change. But with a 3 yr old to think about, that's not what I did. I went in the closet. Like a responsible adult would do. Knowing that Tay would be counting on me made it that much harder to not know what was going on. We made it  through. There are more storms coming today and tonight.
This is the swing set outside. See all the water standing. 
Tay is all cuddled up without a care in the world. 
The wagon is getting drowned. 
Around 1:00 we found out that more storms were headed our way and the schools were letting out early. So I went and got Anns. We got into the closet again. Big surprise. Anns said she was hungry and wanted a snack. And she didn't want just some regular snack. She wanted a PB&J sandwich. How funny. So they had a snack and I kept watching the weather. They really did great. Very calm and entertained.
 
Their dad came home as soon as he could. The weatherman was predicting some more tornadoes. I wanted to go home. Just something about being in your own house with the familiar around you. So I left for home. I came around a curve where you can't see past the trees and when I came on the other side, there was a funnel right in front of me. I saw it go from white to gray to black. I slowed down and watched it pass. I then floored it to make it home. I got home and watched the tv for updates. Then my power went out. So I kept in touch with things through my phone and twitter. So glad for modern technology. I knew that Chickasaw County in MS was getting hit. I grew up there. My grandparents still live there. I have family and friends there. I heard that Smithville, MS had gotten hit by a tornado and was destroyed. I know people who live in Smithville and nearby. I began to pray. I didn't know what else to do. After about 3 hours the power came back on. And I was able to find out more information.
It is a disaster zone. People have lost their lives, their homes, and all their belongings. I have talked to people who were there, and it's very devastating. Please keep praying for families. The death tole is not complete yet. I know that God has extremely blessed my life. He has taken care of and had His hand upon me. I am so grateful. He is the God of Peace. As we continue to make head way out of all of this, I am praying for God's peace to surround us like never before.

No comments:

Post a Comment