Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Going Beyond

On Friday, Priscilla Shirer held a Going Beyond event in Southaven, MS. It's only an hour away and I was off. So YES, I was there. I went with an expectant heart believing that God would speak to me. I've heard Priscilla before and have heard her brother Anthony Evans Jr lead worship before, but never at a Going Beyond event. I can promise you that you will be BLESSED beyond measure if you attend one of these events.
Friday night opened up with Anthony leading worship. Wow, what an amazing experience. Loved entering into the presence of the Lord with hundreds of women. Priscilla delivers the Word of God in a way to me that seems to speak directly to me. I love sitting under her teaching. Some of my notes from the night session:
She talked about Gideon (Judges 6:11, 7:1-2)
- We may be surprised by things in our lives, God is not.
- Even when God does not, He is still God.
- The greatest miracle God does is the one He does in you.
- Gideon is marked with insecurities.
- Gideon tried to fit in with his surroundings.
- Your crisis does not have the power to keep you out of the reach of God.
- You can not out sin a relationship with God.
- Many times, God waits until He transforms us before He changes our crisis.
- God moved Heaven and Earth to be with you.
- God doesn't call us to do hard things, He calls us to the impossible.
I'm so grateful for this message. To know that God has not abandoned me in my insecurities, is highly reassuring.
 
Anthony and I after the event on Friday night

Saturday morning started bright and early at 5:00am. I wanted to go to the prayer time with Priscilla. While waiting in line that morning, some ladies were talking about different blogs they read. I asked them if they heard of Kelly's Korner. WELL, YES! They had. One lady was so funny. She was practically jumping up and down with excitement. Blogs truly do bring people together.
I honestly don't know if I can describe to anyone the prayer time with Priscilla. It was an incredible time. Completely speechless. I was so blessed in those few minutes. Words really can't do the experience justice. To feel a bond so strongly with women that I've never met or may never see again is simply remarkable. That time in prayer with those women will be forever marked in my life.
We had a break before coming back to a session with Priscilla. Some ladies moved seats and a couple of women came and sat behind me. I found out that they used to go to church with my grandparents. Small world.
Paige Greene- the event director at LifeWay had approached me and asked if I was the Cyndi that tweets all the time. I said yes. She yells to Priscilla "Hey this is her!" My face was turning red as Priscilla made her way over to where we were standing. She hugged my neck and told me she reads my tweets and is thankful for me. I told her that I probably tweet a little too much. She said not at all. She then told me she is coming back to Memphis next weekend to speak at Life Church. Any guesses of where I'll be next Sunday? It was really fun to meet her.
Paige and I  
Priscilla and I

In the morning session Priscilla talked about Bible Study and being in the Word. I felt as though I was the only one in the room!
1 John 2: 27, John 16:13
- The Word is worth sitting under.
- It's not about the newness of the Word, it's about the NOWness of it in our lives.
- We can not depend on people to be the Holy Spirit for us.
- It's perfectly ok to take it one verse at a time.
- It's not about finishing fast. It's about getting what God has for us from the scripture.
- God speaks not to be heard, but to be obeyed.
 5 P's of Bible Study
1. Position yourself to hear from God. (find a place with silence and solitude, anticipate God, approach with expectation Psalm 27:14) It's not even about the time we have to give. Even if it's 15 minutes, it's better than not spending any time in the Word at all.
2. Pore over the passage and Paraphrase the major points. (pore is the opposite of scan Josh. 1:8, summarize in your own words)
3. Pull out the spiritual principles.
4. Pose the questions. (am I living in a way that says I believe that verse? what is God calling me to do?)
5. Plan obedience and Pin down the date. (have an active plan with a specific date to obey what God is telling you to do)

Priscilla suggested having a notebook with you to write out the above steps. She had us try this method using Exodus 14:13-14. She also suggested that if this is new to us, we may want to start in John. It took her TWO years to get through John because some days it was literally one verse at a time. She would meditate and think on the one verse sometimes for a couple of days. More helpful information can be found in her books Can We Talk? and Seed.
I dont' feel as lost now when I'm spending time in the Word with God. I have a better grip on how to read and understand the passage. And I'm taking it one verse, one day at a time.


We had another break. I ran up the stairs to get a copy of Can we talk? I feel as though it's a great tool to help me in my everyday Bible reading.
Anthony did a little concert for us. He also told a few hilarious stories and played the guitar. So fun.
 
 
 
Anthony playing the guitar

Priscilla continued her teaching on Gideon in the next session.
Judges 7:1-2
-You are not the same as you were.
-The crisis in your life has been allowed so that you can be changed.
- We don't need to come out of a situation the same as we went in.
- You need to remember what God has ALREADY started in your life.
- You can face tomorrow differently because of how you handled your yesterdays.
- When you are not the same person as you used to be, then you have no business going back to where you used to go. Simply DON'T GO THERE! (if you used to resort to anger in dealing with issues, now you don't go there)
- Posture is everything. How you are standing when faced with trials determines how you will handle those trials.
- Your vantage point will make a difference of how you deal with your enemies.
- Don't get a new job because it's dark, God put you there to be the light!
- You don't need all that you think you need.
-God equips the obedient.
 
 
 
 

Such a great Word. Can't begin to tell you how much I needed to hear this Word this weekend. My heart is in a place of indecision and I finally have found some clarity. I'm really looking forward to what God has for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment