Wednesday, December 26, 2012

An Unforgetable Christmas

*This is a long, detailed post.
I made it to my parent's house for Christmas morning. My mom, dad, brother, and SIL all gathered around the tree to open gifts. We elected the parents to go first. We were looking forward to a couple of reactions on a couple of gifts. We got my mom a birthstone ring. She's only been asking for one since forever. Mine, my brother, Trey, Harley, and Ella's birthstones are on the ring. She loved it. My dad got a grilling set with Roll Tide on it. He also got a couple of things from Duck Dynasty. My brother went CRAZY over the Uncle Si cup. I mean hysterical. It was so funny. So we let him go next. He got a bobble head of Uncle Si and a shirt. He was acting like a 3 yr old. You would have thought I gave him a million bucks. It was crazy. My SIL got a vacuum, an overnight bag, and a Grey's Anatomy t-shirt (she's OBSESSED) and a necklace from Origimi Owl. It was a really fun morning. My SIL even asked if we could re-wrap the gifts and open them again. It was seriously that much fun. All three of us got matching sweat pants and MSU shirts from my parents. Since we eat lunch with my grandmother's extended family at lunch on Christmas day, we decided that we would all wear those matching outfits. Perfect photo opportunities. So I headed out to my house for a shower. My brother and SIL went to her parents' house for showers and to show them their Christmas gifts. I texted her shortly after 12 to make sure they were coming and that she was surely wearing that outfit. She assured by that she indeed was and that they were almost on their way.
I had no idea that this would be our last conversation.

I made it to my grandparent's house and started helping get the food out to the tables. We were waiting on my brother and SIL as well as my aunt and her family. I called my brother and his phone went straight to voicemail. I tried my SIL and her phone only rang twice. I really didn't think much of it. About 2 min later, a strange number called my grandparent's house. I could hear my brother yelling for my dad. He just wanted to talk to my dad. I stepped into the room where he was on the phone. He jumped up and said he would be right there. I asked what had happened. He said that my brother had a wreck and wrapped his truck around a tree. My mom says she's going, and I tell her she shouldn't. Something in me just knew she didn't need to go. So I jumped in the truck with my dad. We found the wreck and I will never forget the scene. It's raining and my brother is standing in the middle of the road with no shoes, his clothes are torn apart, screaming and hollering. My dad goes to him and I head for the truck. Several firetrucks and rescue people are already gathered at the scene. Her side of the truck is wrapped around the tree completely. I asked someone to check for a pulse. No one was able to reach her at the moment. My brother had been thrown through the back glass and was banged up pretty badly. I watched them work to get the door open. When they finally got the door off, I was able to see her body. I knew at that moment that it wasn't a good situation. It took the men over an hour and two jaws of life to finally get my SIL out of the truck. I watched them get her body out and put her in the ambulance. I rode with her to the hospital. They had to cut her clothes off of her. She had a pulse but was still unresponsive. Her heart stops as we are almost at the hospital. They were able to get it started again. I was rushed to the waiting room. The first person I see is her sister. Her dad arrives next. Then several other family members arrive. Finally, my brother makes it along with my parents. It seems as though it took them forever. Eventually, the waiting room is full of family and friends. Someone tells us that she has coded again and they are doing CPR (this is the third time they have done CPR). We gather in a room and wait. Tears are flowing and we wait. The doctor comes in to talk to us. He tells us that beyond their efforts, Amanda has suffered to much trauma and they weren't able to save her. The sounds of anguish and sorrow are horrific. We are devastated beyond belief.
To just think that she was just asking to re-wrap gifts and now here we are living a nightmare.
I go to the restroom and sit in the floor and lose it. I made a few phone calls through all my tears. I rejoin my family. We are told that it will be a little while before we can see her. She was an organ donor and they were going to save as much as they could. So while we waited, Timothy checked in to get checked out and I had someone run me to my house. I could change clothes and bring Timothy some dry clothes and socks. I got to my house and Jametra and her cousin were coming out of the house. Dr. Hill had finally got someone to get a hold of Jametra. She knew I needed someone to be with me. I lost it again inside. Jametra held me together and drove me back to the hospital.
Eventually, they allowed my brother and parents to see Amanda. Afterwards, her family along with me, my cousin and my aunt went in to see her. We were told that every bone in her body was broken in the wreck. She suffered multiple traumas. They were able to donate her heart and her lungs. Everything else was too damaged.
I go join my brother and mom in his ER room. He didn't have anything broken or anything to be majorly concerned about. Lots of scraps and bruises. The doctor called it "road rash". He got several medicines to prevent infections. Then he was discharged to go home. I rode with my grandparents back to their house. I then went to see my other grandparents so that I could tell them what happened. My parents and brother stopped by there as well. We went to back to my grandparent's house. All of our Christmas lunch was exactly like it was before the wreck. My brother took a shower and I cleaned his wounds. He had glass in some spots in his back. As I picked glass out of his back, all I could think was that at least he was still here for me to do this.
Needless to say, Christmas was devastating and heartbreaking for me this year. Please keep my family in your prayers.
wearing my a shirt my brother had bought 
my mom with her birthstone ring 
new shirt 
MSU spatula 
Uncle Si bobble head 
her grey's anatomy shirt- she was beyond excited 
with her overnight bag from Victoria Secret


  1. Oh Cyndi...I know you don't know me but I have been reading your blog for awhile now...I just want you to know my heart goes out to you and your family. Hugs.

    1. Thank you Janna so very much. I don't post in a timely manner on here. Especially this past two weeks. So I hoping to get caught up and begin fresh this year. I hope I can get to know you better as well. Do you blog?

  2. I do...

  3. I just stumbled upon your blog and couldn't leave without commenting. I am so so sorry for your loss, your family's loss, and I hope you are upheld and surrounded with peace and comfort as you walk through this time of grieving. You are not alone!

    1. Shannon,
      Thanks so much for your sweet comment. Do you blog?