Friday, September 23, 2011

The Resolution for Women- Week 1

I love Priscilla Shirer. She is an incredible Bible teacher and speaker. She partnered up with the Kendrick brothers (from Facing the Giants) to write a book The Resolution for Women. Then on her blog, she kicked off a book club with this book. Women were able to leave email addresses and "claim" each other as pen pals for this book club. Sounds like a great idea, right. I thought so as well. It started on the 16th, taking it one section per week. Not too overwhelming. I have two pen pals and it's interesting to see what God is doing in their lives at the same time as He is working in mine. I downloaded the book to my Nook and look forward to it daily.
This week is about being Surprisingly Satisfied- A resolution to be content. Well, hello! I have been living in a drought of discontentment. I almost feel as though Priscilla has been reading my journal lately. I'm always in a hurry for the next thing. The next event. The next step. To have a husband and children. To finally loose weight and be healthier. When really, God is asking me to enjoy my RIGHT NOW. To take the time and get to know Him. For myself. To be still and KNOW that He is God alone. To seize this opportunity of singleness and live it up! To not worry so much about how much I've lost or gained this week. But to give my best to Him and know that He will reward my efforts. Talk about being content and happy! At the end of each little reading there are questions for you to answer. Some of those questions have really made me think this week about my life. All of it. The good, the bad, and the ugly. To examine that even in the bad and ugly parts, God has given me goodness. And mercy. And grace. Abundantly.
This first section has four readings:
Every Bite Counts
- I'm rarely satisfied in full with my present station. This statement made the color drain from my face when I read it. Completely described how I felt about my current attitude on life.
- Because I'd been there, but I hadn't really been there. How many times have I not fully engaged in the present while worrying or waiting for the future? Or been living stuck in the past?
- Then before you know it, you've missed out on the joys in the journey, the growth that comes from battling through the difficulties, the sweet and savory experience of creating the memories. What memories or joys am I missing out on lately?
- 1 Timothy 6:6; 1 Timothy 6:8; Hebrews 13:5
The Secret
-Somehow the message just never gets translated clearly all the way back. Too many times I've waited on other people to pass along a message from God. How many times has that message not been delivered properly, even from well trusted sources. God wants me to come to Him to get the message from Him. To allow Him to speak words of life into my heart.
-Today we hear a philosophy of happiness that's actually been training us for a long time not to be happy.
-Fed by such a steady diet of unclaimed desires, we can hardly help but develop a level a disdain for our current circumstances.
-The rarity and uniqueness of a woman who has chosen to be satisfied with what she has, with who she is, and with where she lives is as uncommon and worth celebrating as a Texas snow at Christmas.
- Paul's secret was this: he had resolved to be content. Wow. Paul had to work at being content and happy. It didn't come easily. I'm not going to wake up tomorrow content and happy with life. But, I can resolve to be that way. I can work on it. I can choose it. I can choose to be content and happy with the right here and now.
- When you've concluded that what you already have on hand is enough, that it's adequate- that it's been deemed by God as sufficient- then you're equipped and empowered to participate fully in the tasks set before you during this season of life. When I come realize that God has given me everything I need for my life right now, the possibilities are limitless.
- The more you believe that God's grace to you is overflowing, the more you'll be convinced that you will always have everything you need.
- Your God can be trusted to grant you the supply you need to excel at His purposes.
- So the "work" misses out on our touch, and we miss the many ways the "work" could touch us- the impact, the memories, the lessons, the experiences that God is knitting together to become a key part of our story.
- God has already given enough. He always does.
Overflowing Blessing
- It appears there's nothing exact about God's recipe of return to us. His gifts are overflowing.
- It appears that the best way to get more of what you need is to give away the little you think you have left- at the appropriate time and in the appropriate way. So many times I don't want to give anything of myself. I'm tired. I've got bills to pay. I simply don't feel like it. Yet, how many things have I missed out on? How many blessings have I cheated myself from?
- Live this moment. Pour yourself out. Drain the experience of each precious day. And be prepared for God's overflowing blessing.
The Balancing Point
- Contentment is the equilibrium between the enjoyment of life now and the anticipation of what is to come.

Because I have downloaded the book, I'm not able to sign my name on the line of this resolution. So this is my way have proclaiming it.
Surprisingly Satisfied
I do solemnly resolve to embrace my current season of life and will maximize my time in it. I will resist the urge to hurry through or circumvent any portion of my journey but will live with a spirit of contentment.
Cyndi R. Autrey

This week's Bible verse is 1 Samuel 12:16 “Now then, stand still and see this great thing the LORD is about to do before your eyes!"
If you want to join in, please do. It's not too late. Today is the launch of the second section. There are video chats and posts during the week to help you along. There are amazing women to connect with in the comments. Go to http://goingbeyond.com/blog for all the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment