Thursday, August 7, 2014

Names of God: Week 5

Although I haven't been on track for the exact days for this study, I am still encouraged weekly by every ones post. When this study started I gave up the pressure of having to "do it right". That mentality has been my stronghold for past Bible studies. I'm so glad I let that go. The things God has been showing and imprinting on my heart have for been worth the pressure of getting things right.
This week's study has shown me a deeper level of how to breakdown and understand the passages better.

Observation is the most valuable step in inductive study. 

Jehovah-nissi: The Lord is my Banner

A banner was an ensign or standard. Many times I don't allow a standard to be first in my life. Often, I even lower standards to fit my current need. This shows that I am not allowing God to determine what should be the standard for my life. I'm selfishly seeking to please my flesh. A banner was typically symbolised by a rod.

The flesh must constantly be put to death. It can't be tolerated, catered to, or spared in any way. If it is, it will devastate you. I can not begin to tell you how many times I have been absolutely devastated by the consequences of the own choices. Many of these things could have been avoided had I listened to what God was saying.

In Samuel 15:-23 it says "to obey is better than sacrifice" and "Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has also rejected you from being king."
At times I feel like I will be sacrificing a whole lot if I were to obey God. Some things seem hard to do. I would have to do something hard. It would change my course of my life. One time, I knew that I should cut ties with a friendship that was negatively influencing my life. Yet, because I was afraid and good see benefits of keeping this friendship, I didn't let it go. In the end the bad terms that ended our friendship were worse than if I had obeyed God several months before. When I reject God, how many blessings have I also rejected? I may never know of the incredible things I could have been doing instead of crying over heartache.

We want salvation, but not warfare. This is completely true for me. I want the end result without working for it.

It is the Lord's battle; victory depends on His rod being lifted up. Without the banner of God, we will lose every battle that comes our way in this life. When we put God's banner first, we are assured victory.

Only be abiding under the power, the standard, the banner, the ensign of your Jehovah-nissi can you have victory over the flesh, the world, and the devil, your enemies and God's.

What would our lives look like to have God at the forefront of EVERY SINGLE ONE OF OUR BATTLES? How differently would we live knowing and resting assured that we have victory?

Jehovah- mekoddishkem- the Lord sanctifies you

Sanctification begins God began when we ask for forgiveness- salvation.

To be sanctified by God is for Him to make us holy. Only holiness can abide in the presence of the Most High God. Holiness is not an option, it's a requirement.

Throughout several scriptures, we see that God has detailed a life for sanctification for us. We are to be sanctified in truth, by the Peace of God, abstaining from sexual immorality, the love of Christ.
I can guarantee you that I am not living a life of sanctification even in these few ways.

Sanctification continues with redemption from God. Redemption is not the end of us. Rather, it is sanctification that prepares us for glory.

There is no sanctification without redemption. However, redemption always produces sanctification- to one degree or another. 

I have always seen my life story as one of redemption, yet never paired that with the sanctification work of God.




No comments:

Post a Comment